Many other countries that stood with the anti-Hitler coalition provided military support for the Allied landing in Normandy. Czechoslovaks also saw to it that one of the most complicated military operations to have ever taken place in Europe was a success. It was shortly after 8 a.m. when the first formation of Spitfire fighter aircraft from No. 134 (Czech) Airfield took off from the RAF air base in Appledram. Their task was to protect invading troops in the joint British-Canadian sector, approximately in the area marked off by the beach and the towns of Bayeux and Caen. The men whose journey into the cockpit of a fighter aircraft often started as early as the summer of 1939, used their aircraft to cover the infantrymen from the Luftwaffe and at the command of the Forward Air Controller, attacked the designated targets. Ret. Colonel Josef Prokopec, a graduate of the 1,000 New Czechoslovak Pilots program that took place at the West Bohemian Air Club in Pilsen in 1936-37 was also one of the Czechoslovaks to participate in the Normandy invasion on June 6, 1944.